Need Z3 Help: 1997 2.9 vs. 1998 1.9...and how do ya drop the top??

kaburke

Hey all -
I currently own a X5 4.6is (love it!), but the gas is killin me everyday going back-n-forth to work, so I'm thinking of getting an older Z3. I've heard they're very reliable, can easily go 200K miles if taken care of, and can get 30 (or more) mpg on the highway. My drive to work is all highway...no traffic and I plan to use the Z3 primarily as my work car.

So, in my area search, I've found a 1997 2.8 and a 1998 1.9 and I'm trying to decide between the two. Both have the same mileage (about 90K), but the '98 actually has more features such as heated seats, a new radio deck, and an Ipod hookup (sweet!). I went and test drove the 1997 and it's still a rewarding ride...even after 10 years. The inline 6 still has it's kick, it takes curves like a monster, and the original clutch was still receptive. Back at the dealership, my service guy showed me how to drop the top and I was disappointed to see that's it's a fully manual process, but admittedly..an easy one. Just takes a minute or so.

So..last night, I found this 1999 1.9, so my first question is: is there a significant performance difference between these two engines? I'm thinking, "Hell yeah", but wanted to hear from others. I love a good drive, but really...I'm just getting to/from work in this car. If I need a little boost in rpm's, I'm hoping a nice down-shift will do the trick in a 1.9. Your thoughts?

2nd question: I can't get the pic to insert, but in the '98 (which I've only seen on the internet so far), on the console (below the temp gauges), there's a button to the left of the heated seats that has an up/down arrow and the icon has a convertible top. I'm assume this means the top is automatic, but I'd just like to be sure. I assume so, as long as the car isn't moving or something? Please...excuse my ignorance, but I've never owned a convertible before. That's another reason I'd like to get a Z just to look awesome going to work everyday as I whip pass all the other cars w/my top down! Zoooooom....

Also, let me know if the 30 mpg is really true for highway driving. What about gas, does this one need Premium?

K..let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!

KB

Big Daddy

I had a 97 2.8 that I bought new, great car, wonderful to drive and hands down more spunk than the 1.9. I would personally not get the 4 cylinder, the gas mileage does not vary that much to make it attractive. My current roadster, a 98 M gets 28 highway MPG if you can keep your foot out of it? Also all the 97's had manual tops and I prefer it to the power top. With the power top you have a switch and a pump that moves the top up and down as long as your foot is on the brake. It takes longer than doing it manually and regardless you have to unlatch and push the top up a few inches before the power system will take control. Same when you lower it, you have to pull it down the last few inches and than lock it. Yes the button is for the top. Yes the Z's as in all BMW's to my knowledge use premium fuel.

That is for a power top. Mine is broke, the want $450 to fix, better off manual. Have a 99 2.3 with 61K automatic with hardtop . It is for sale, contact me if interested . I get 25mpg average from the small six.

kaburke

Thanks. Last Thursday I ended up getting the manual top, 2.8! It'll be ready this Wednesday. You were right, the manual top is sooo easy (don't even have to get out the car) and that's one less thing I have to worry about fixing.

Next question: Have you ever had the Wind Deflector? I'm wondering does it make a big difference? Any thoughts...

Big Daddy

Yes I have used both the mesh BMW deflector and the Lexan one. They work really well, I sold the mesh deflector and use strictly the Lexan one, I like it because it is clear and you can barely tell it is there.

kaburke

Does anyone now how to install the Mesh deflector (1997 Z3, no roll bars)?? BMW sent me the part, but no instructions. I have the mesh deflector that flips down. It comes with two brackets, some bolts, and these four round cirlcle-things that sorta look like velcro, but it's actually plastic.

The deflector isn't wide enough to mount on the seat belt towers (where there looks to a pre-cut cirlce on each side), so the only thing space left is to mount the brakets just to the inside of each tower...but is that right? No precut holes or anything?

I can't find anything on the web to help, so please send any useful links or pics.

Thanks!