Horn, Airbag, and Rear Wiper all went out at once!

I have a multiple symptom problem that appears to all stem from an issue in the steering column. A few weeks ago, I was honking my horn and some idiot in a Hummer H3 that cut three lanes when the the sound suddenly faded and stopped. I reapplied the horn and nothing. I figured it was a fuse, and checked them all to no avail.

I drove a few days without the horn when the airbag light came on. Then, just a day ago as it was raining out, I discovered the rear windsheild wiper on my coupe doesn't work (but the front ones and everything else that gets its signal from the steering column does!). Checked all the fuses, and again nothing was blown!

Do you think I have a wiring harness issue, or could this be a faulty relay of some sort. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks,
Dan

No, you were supposed to say "Oh, this happens all the time and it costs $0.25 to fix!"....

Thanks Big Daddy. I've been looking into it a bit myself, and while I wholly trust my mechanic, I'd like to figure this out on my own before I bring it in there. A replacement wiring harness is a costly item....

NotDadz

Have you checked you fuses. I had a fuse that ohmed good but would not let the voltage flow. The fuse was 'rusty'. It was for my tach, gas, and temp. They were not working I repaced them all 54 fuse good or bad. I install top of the line for AutoZone $40. But one fuse will run about $$0.25 [;)]

I think I discovered the problem. According to a post on bimmerforums.com, this should be a failing ignition switch. Its suggested to start by replacing the electrical part of the switch, then see if its the slip ring. Of course, the SRS fault will have to be cleared for the airbag warning light to go out.

Armed with this new knowledge and false courage, I think I'll pick up the parts today and tackle it over the weekend. Has anybody tried to replace the ignition switch or slip ring?

Happy Thanksgiving

Figuring it was the ignition switch, I brought the coupe to my mechanic... who promptly diagnosed that the horns were fried, the rear wiper was fried, and the seat belt tensioner needed to be repalced. He tested current to the horns and wiper and found them to work, so the fault, he determined, was in fact the items themselves. Thus, it was purely coincidental that they all went out within a few days of eachother!

Bad things happen in three's I guess!