Z3 Upgrades

nordybmw

I am new to BMWs. I bought a 2002 roadster (3.0) and love the performance and handling. I have relaced the wheels with lightweight OZ (16lb) puppies. Really helps the acceleration....but I want to tinker more. Eyeing Dinan cold air intake, performance chip and free flow exhast. Told that I need to stay with Dinan to support Mfg warrant (100k).....(TRUE ?)

Question....any experience with these parts...good/bad.

Does the Dinan exhast provide enought of a sporty sound to really enjoy the beauty of this free reving 6 ! If not what is a good solution between a full out
"rice rocket" (i.e annoying) and the muted sound of the standard exhast.

Wanted to buy an "M" but 3 kids in college...so I am screwed. [:(]

Appreciate any feedback.

Nordy

considering Dinan

Hi Nordy -

I think I am the "newest" upgrader in regards to Dinan - being just a few weeks removed. Please find my thread listed on this board a couple of weeks ago. i've also got many photos attached to my profile.

Bottom-line ... awesome!
no rice-burning here. a deep, low growl best describes the sound of the Dinan exhaust. I did Stage 3 and all that goes along with that level.

Welcome to the club!

[driving2]

nordybmw

Dinan5i

I really appreciate your feedback....(especially on the Dinan free flow exhast). I will research past threads and pick up the data.

Your Bimmer in Gray looks to be one "sweet" ride....enjoy !

Thanks again for your response.

Big Daddy

I have a 98 M roadster with Dinan CPU upgrades, Dinan Stage II suspension/Koni adjustables, Dinan Strut Bar, and I am really happy with them all. I run the stock exhaust, but have known other M roadster owners using the Dinan exhaust with no complaints.

nordybmw

Dinan5i-

Got the work done...cold air, stage 3, Throttle body, Free flow exhaust (does sound great) and steptronic software. The little Z gets up and goes ! (need a radar detector now !!).

Question....the Dinan installers indicate that in regaular and sport mode, the soft roll off rev limiter is enabled, but in manual mode....programmed out. Is this true for your installation ?

When I am running the canyons or stop light dragging....manual has always been the fastest as it hits the limiter and slides to the next gear. If I try to tap the gear shift, I never can catch the exact top of the revs....it spins through to 7k and jerks while engaging the next gear based on my lack of timing. Maybe I am asking too much of this tranny... curious as to your experience.

Best Regards,

Nordy

Yes, it's almost impossible to manually shift the Steptronic at exactly peak revs. Also, note that the best shift point is *not* redline - redline shifts almost always result in slower acceleration. Manual shifting of the step is really there just for fun, or if you want to lock in a gear.

You should have Sport mode on your Steptronic. BMW claims that Sport mode is programmed for highest performance shifts in every gear. Warning - techie explanation follows!!

In theory, with a manual or automatic transmission, you want to shift just past peak torque. The next higher gear then takes over just below peak torque. So as you accelerate, your are staying in your peak torque range in each gear, running at the top of the curve, so to speak. Torque is falling off before redline. Supposedly, BMW has programmed this into Sport mode.

i'm no techie, but what Kirby said sure sounds right! also, i didn't get the tranny reprogrammed. i'm thinking about, however.

when are you going to posts some pics of your ride?

thanks

nordybmw

Kirby-

Thanks for the feedback. Did have a question of anyone about a Dinan CAI. My unit chirps
like a bird right when I give it initial throttle...say 1k rpm...then is gone. Is this common &
is there a fix ? (sorry about space hog.....not sure what it is...will read the site rules)

Nordy

on another board i came across some thread where (in 2001 and 2002) there were some issues like you describe but they were due primarily associated with "self-installs" done improperly. if you use Google and "issues with Dinan CAI" you should find the old posts. i found a boatload of commentary from alot of guys that upgraded in 2001 and 2002. i was surprised to find as many thread as i found.... the comments (good, bad but not too ugly) are many.

hope this helps. i'll see if i saved a link on this pc.

good luck

nordybmw

Dinan5i-

Thanks for your feedback...will pursue and see how to get this "bird" out of the
sensory feedback of enjoying a Bimmer (the sounds and feel of a solid performer)

Working on getting some pics. Happy Trails....