Turnermotorsport Euro stage II upgrade for US spec S52 M roadster

vikram

Thought some members might be interested, so I am writing a review.
The Kit:
1. Conforti Carbon fiber Heat Shield
2. Conforti 3.5" Carbon Fiber Pipe
3. TMS specially made 3.5" HFM. This is not Euro M3 or 540i HFM.
4. 3.5" ITG Foam Filter. This thing is huge
5. Special HFM Harness with Custom Bracket. TMS Stamped.
6. 24 lbs. Fuel injectors.
7. Specially Programmed Stage II software Shark Injector. The basic stage I will not work.
8. Hardware
9. Final Price: above $1900 (with CF shield). Don't forget the Diehard battery charger which cost additional $100+

Getting this Kit was RPITA. It may be an isolated incident, but this is how it went for me. I ordered the kit in mid-October from Turnermotorsport. Kevin sent the wrong kit (basic 3" one) with 24 lb injectors and stage I shark Injector, despite me being very clear. Rather than admitting his fault he actually said that it 'is' the stage II kit and I was wrong. Then I told him to transfer me to someone else. This time it was Drew who got every thing done right.

When the correct kit finally came I was expecting high quality and it was. Well, accept for the intake pipe. It was frail, very frail. I could see tiny specs of light passing though at points where the CF cloth weave was separated. The whole pipe was filled with such tiny holes. Gently pressing on the pipe caused it to make crackling noise. It was time to call Josh at Eurosport. He is a fantastic guy. We discussed, for a long time, how to make a new pipe that would be stronger. One way was to coat the inside of the pipe with resin as well and Josh agreed. The new pipe came in with in a couple of days and was just great. Josh will do any thing to satisfy his customers. A rare breed.

I installed the fuel injectors first. This was my first time so I bought BMW Z3 service manual from Bentley publishers for $125. It is recommended for DIY's.
The injectors were easy to install. Then came the intake and the HFM. The CF Heat
shield is a bit tricky to install and takes some time because one has to remove the
headlight covers. The Stage II kit was designed to fit in an s52 M3. In order for it to fit in the M roadster, the shield is designed differently and the fitting is "very tight" because of the bigger filter and larger HFM. The clips in the intake pipe are pressed against the shield and will scratch it, luckily it is layered with heat cloth so it scratches the cloth. All in all I don't think this kit was well thought of for the roadster. Crimp, cramp, arm wrestle, install. The $280 CF shield is not worth it and then you hurt when the pipe just crushes into it. Although it is listed as $130 on Eurosport website you have to return the plastic one to Eurosport which has the value of $150.The CF has a lot of bling though and some advantages over the plastic one since it is layered with heat cloth. But when the car is moving its cool inside the plastic one just as well, so who cares.

The 3.5" foam filter is so big it leaves hardly any room in the shield to optimize its
location. In the end, no matter how hard you try, it crushes into the headlight adjustment knob by 1.5". However this does not damage the filter in any way. There is a sharp plastic retainer that juts out through the wheel well. That 'does' scratch the foam when you rotate the filter in the shield to optimize its location. Just cover it with a soft rubber cap.

Last of all the Shark injector upgrade went without a hitch.

Driving impressions: I then took the car for a 50 mile drive on the expressway. Getting to the expressway, I had to drive through town. On starting the car the very first thing that I noted was this loud woomph an then almost immediately, the engine purred like a kitten. This was no imagination, a real difference and very sexy too. The engine idled way smoother. This software is superior to that from Dinan. I say this because I did have Dinan upgrade on the car, paid $500 any nothing to show. I had to go back to the dealer to delete the Dinan upgrade before installing the Conforti kit which cost $65.

Driving through stop signs in the town, I tried the second gear skipping the first
completely. I was amazed that the car pulled effortlessly. Prior to the Kit this was not the case as the second gear starts from a stop sign would work but I had to slip the clutch little bit while giving it some gas. If I did not do so, the car would struggle and put extra load on the engine. Now that is gone. Therefore I conclude that the low end torque has vastly improved over the already impressive stock torque of the S52. I no longer use the first gear at the stop signs.

Around town the intake is quite but has that deep rich sound, the best sound I got was when I cruised a 40 MPH. Wooooonnnnnnmmm. Very seductive. No stereo music please! not anymore. On the expressway the car was a different machine from the stock setup. I hit the new rev limit of 7000 rpm several times and hit the rev limiter worked immediately after 7000 rpm. The software was working. Now the biggest thing I noticed was how the s52 revved. It was silky smooth all the way to 7000, way smoother than stock. This software has excellent code. Just fantastic.

Stomp on the gas and the 3.5" intake shows its true colors. Above 4000 rpm the sound of the intake is just awesome. In side the cockpit you can't help but smile to yourself and be aware of other drivers watching you. They must have thought I was crazy. The noise is alike the Ferrari 360 spider. I know because I drove one all the way to Michigan. The only difference is that in the Ferrari, the sound is there all the time. In the M it comes live at about 4000 rpm and gets better and better as the revs rise. However at that performance level the car is a gas magnet.

The engine really sounds very healthy. The revs linger on for just a bit between shifts allowing silky smooth shifts. The car would just keep on pulling in the fifth gear. In this gear I clearly noticed the extra horsepower and torque come into play. At one point on an empty stretch I reached 135 mph and the car was still pulling and pulling relentlessly. I did not notice this at all with the Dinan upgrade. Unfortunately I could not explore this cars new capabilities beyond that speed. Turnermotorsports claims that the kit produces 22 and 28 HP and TQ respectively. We found those claims to be somewhat conservative. Jim conforti claims that the kit produces around 30 whp and 32lb of torque. I trust Jim's figures. The car is just that powerful now. I have not Dyno tested it yet but, to tell you the
truth I don't need to. The difference between the stock car and now is vast.

I love this kit and am keeping it. Pros: Every bit as advertised. It delivers.
Cons: Heavy on the wallet, not exactly fabricated to fit the m roadster s52 freely, be ready for some gas expense if you drive at the high performance level. But I almost always do that now. The feel is so seductive and when you are having so much fun, it's a gas.