2009 BMW Z4 Spy Shots

i was travelling back from Viginia Beach yesterday and stopped by BMW of Charlottesville. In the showroom, i saw a 2001 Titanium Silver Z8 with 4000 miles on the clock. It's much bigger than I thought ... in the flesh. I also didn't know it had the e39 M5 motor in it.

Wow. It was the most beautiful car I've ever seen. I may post the photos later this evening. If I only had the 99k to drive it home, i would have left my 5 on the side of the road.

Dinan5i, if you left clear title along with your 5 on the side of the road, I sure would have liked to have been behind you. I love your 530i; looks very sharp; the stance, the exhaust. It really is well done.

dinan5i said:
i was travelling back from Viginia Beach yesterday and stopped by BMW of Charlottesville. In the showroom, i saw a 2001 Titanium Silver Z8 with 4000 miles on the clock. It's much bigger than I thought ... in the flesh. I also didn't know it had the e39 M5 motor in it.

Wow. It was the most beautiful car I've ever seen. I may post the photos later this evening. If I only had the 99k to drive it home, i would have left my 5 on the side of the road.
It is absolutely a piece of automotive artwork. I was lucky enough to see a new one in person at our local dealer a few years ago. The dealer said it was ordered for and sold to a player for the NY Yankees.

CosmosBlack said:
Some pretty good Spy Shots of the 2009 Z4 if you haven't seen them yet:

LINK HERE
You mean Z9, not Z4? Over the past months, there has been a lot of debate about the size of this mule and whether it is a Z4 update or the rumored Z9. Many people think it is the Z9.

Although, it almost seems like there might be two mules out there that are confusing the issue as to whether it is a Z4 or a Z9...

[scratch] [idea]

I was just given an 87 735i, it runs great and looks very nice. But, , the transmission seems to get confused. The previous owner says it say R when its in Drive or something to the effect. The previous owner is moving and did not want to take it with him. I am in an area that does not have anyone that works on these trasmissions. I was just wondering if anyone has had such a problem or just knows what it is , idea of cost and such!Thanks, I love the one I already have but thought why not take this one since it is free!!!

Big Daddy

The infamous ZF 4 HP 22 E/H automatic tansmission is another sotry. Early models had a three speed box, this became four speed and eventually had electronic control and a Sport/Economy/Manual switch next to the gear lever.

Check the fluid with the oil (Dexron II or III) warm and the engine running or you'll get a reading which can be way out. The fluid should be clear and not burnt. It must be changed every 30K or else. Failure to change the fluid means a new tranny around 150K miles so insist on proof. If it's not been changed for a long time then leave it. Changing it now will let all sorts of crud circulate back into the tranny and wreck it, this is why my own car is now a manual. There is also a filter screen under the tranny which should be changed every 60K, a good chance to check and clean the magnets in the drain pan too.

Never ever rev an auto Six at high rpm in park or neutral. This will cause over pressure on the A clutch pack and burn it out, time for a new trany. A pressure relief hole was added in the late 80's to reduce the problem.

Vibration under acceleration means it's time for a new centre bearing which isn't expensive. Other drive shaft wibrations can be caused by worn flex discs at either end. Post 82 cars had a more robust design.

From the John G Burns Home Page

They can run between $1800 - $2400 to rebuild or replace [:(]

selavia said:
Dinan5i, if you left clear title along with your 5 on the side of the road, I sure would have liked to have been behind you. I love your 530i; looks very sharp; the stance, the exhaust. It really is well done.

thanks for the kind words.